Sunday 5 May 2013

Now this is more like it!

The last few days have been awesome weather-wise.
Mid 20's C. and sunny.

A few weeks back when I changed my holidays around for Ohio at the end of May, I cancelled a week off mid May, and spread it out over some long weekends.

This past Friday was one of those days off.

Sunny and 22 C.
YAY!

I headed out to Arnprior through the back roads, and then followed the River road to the dam at Portage.
The water is super high.
Quite awesome, really.






From there I headed to Kazabazua through Campbell's Bay and Otter Lake.

Rode to Maniwaki, and then the Mont Laurier.

Enjoyed a lovely lunch of PFK (....KFC in the rest of the world  ).....and headed back.

Highway 309, which runs from Mont Laurier to the 50 near Buckingham is great.
Lakes, rivers,rolling hills, small towns...

I stopped in a little town called Notre-Dame-de-Pontmain.
The view from town just struck me as particularly pretty, for some reason.








Imagine waking up every morning and seeing that ?

I had forgotten that in Quebec, the speed limit is only a suggestion....a reference point.
I was driving 100-110 km/hr on a 90Km road, and being passed like I was standing still.
Passing lanes are apparently optional as well..I got passed on hills, curves..you name it.
No road rage or like that, from the drivers...they usually waved as they blew by me....they just drive fast.
Even the bikes.
Not that there was a lot of traffic...the roads were quiet.

I was lucky enough to hit Hull and Ottawa just at the start of rush hour, but coming back along the Ottawa River Parkway, it is not so bad.
The view is at least good.

Friday night my wife and I joined the ranks of the Birkenstock wearing / granola crunching crowd, and bought a canoe.
Saturday morning for the inaugural test run, I wore cut off jean shorts, and a tie-dye shirt with an eagle on it.
Not intentionally...but funny in retrospect.
Old guy..ponytail...cut off jean shorts..tie dye shirt...canoe.... I was a walking/paddling stereotype!!

Well it is now 6:22 am and time to get ready to head out for a Sunday ride with Brent.
Meeting in Lanark for breakfast at 8:30.
It is calling for sun and 26 degrees.

I can live with that.

Yes...Yes I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment