Saturday 4 August 2012

Hot Riding

Got out for a ride with Brent today .
Started out wearing a hoodie over my t-shirt and vest.

We met in Lanark, and then went up through Elphin to HWY 7 .

Took a little break on the Mississipi river. The water level was really low.
   






Headed to Marmora and then to Belleville.
It is a beautuful ride...rolling countryside with  farms and fields.
Nice little towns like Chatterton and Foxboro.
Good roads.

From Belleville we went up the 2 to Napanee, and then of course down to Lake Ontario.
When we crested the hill at the power plant and hit the lake...it was 10 degrees cooler.
Stopped for lunch at a park outside of Bath.
I had a nutritious and tasty poutine and a coke....and a granola bar.



  






After lunch we headed to Kingston to check out the Harley dealer.

By this time it was fricken boiling out.
We were both riding with our vests open, and stopped a bunch of times for water.
Sitting in traffic sucked.

After the dealer, we gassed up and headed for Smith Falls. Seemed like a long ride.
Brent split at Rideau Ferry and I headed home.

1 Km from my turnoff on the 417, and I got pulled over by the OPP.
He thought my bars looked too high.
I explained that my hands were still below my shoulders, and he said that is not the way it works.

Got out his tape ..measured...went back to the car to do the math...and came back to say I was just legal.
I was polite the whole time, but kind of seething inside.

Like ...WTF ?

All the bad shit going on in the world, and this guy has to pull me over to check the height on my bars?

Totally ridiculous law to start with ..It does not take into account a person's height, reach, style of bike..."one size fits all"  rules are bullshit!

I am sure the public is sleeping better tonight knowing that the OPP are on the case.

World sure feels safer.

But...can't let this 10 minutes poison a great ride.

It does not define my day.











No comments:

Post a Comment