Sunday 21 October 2012

Weekday get away and update

Up until Thursday, there has not been much riding happening for me.
I have manged to get out after dinner for some quick rides here and there, but nothing substantial.

Thursday was sunny and 20 degrees.
Seeing that forecast on Wednesday, I emailed my boss and asked if it would be OK for me to escape for the afternoon to get a ride in.
Being the great Commander in Chief that he is, he said yes.
Sweet!

I talked to Brent, and he was in.
Thursday morning Mark from MNO stopped by my office and asked if I could get away for a ride.
I told him I was running with Brent and that he was welcome to join in.
He was in.

Mark and I rode out to Carleton place to meet up with Brent, and then we all agreed to head up highway 7 to Sharbot lake, and then ride back in and around Wagerville.
We made an obligatory stop at Silver lake.




From Wagerville we headed to Tamsworth, and then cut back up towards 7 through Arden.

Beautiful country, especially with  the trees in colour....at least the ones that haven't dropped their leaves already.
Even big stands of all yellow are impressive when there are a lot of them.

Some spots were kind of like the land that time forgot...you could well imagine banjos being played by the inhabitants of the shacks along the road.

Saw a real nice marsh hawk ( northern harrier ) up close, and quite the herd of wild turkeys on both sides of the road.
Some were sitting on a fence.
These turkeys were not butterballs..they can fly, even.

We checked out the time outside of Arden and decided to head back via 7 to Perth.
Mark and I kinda debated doing the run to Calabogie, but that would have put us riding back from Arnprior in the dark.
We headed to Lanark, and at Hopetown, turned for Wolfgrove and headed to Almonte.
 It seemed wrong not to be continuing, cuz it was still bright out,  but by the time we hit Kanata it was dark.

Not a huge ride, but definitely a worthy one.
We agreed that we would aim for at least one more good ride day before the snow.
Perhaps we will get an Indian Summer.

Friday it rained. I did get out for a little blast in the dark, though. The roads were semi dry.

Saturday, I had some projects, new and old , to work on at home so I didn't get a long ride in.
Plus, the hourly weather forecasts said it was going to rain off and on all day.
I follow 3 of them...they all agreed. Rain.
Not a drop. The rotten Bastards !

I did get out for  3 - 1 hr mini rides, between tasks.
The nicest one was at night. It was a warm evening, so I blasted up the Queensway to Orleans and back.

Sunday looked crappy, but I did get out for some mini rides again.
 In the morning I stopped at the greenbelt to look for wild turkeys...they were on holiday or something.... didn't see one.

So I took a picture of my bike instead.


There can never be enough photos of my bike in different settings...right?

After lunch I did a little spin around the south end of the city, and stopped in to look at Triumph motorcycles, but the dealer was closed.
Triumph makes a sharp looking bunch of bikes.

And as I type this Sunday evening...it is raining just enough to be a piss off.

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny. If so...I will ride in to work.







No comments:

Post a Comment